Monday, October 22, 2012

Something Strong, Something Spicy, Something Sweet

Trust you had an enjoyable long weekend.  I spent mine watching the Elite Mens World Triathlon Championships in the pouring rain and howling gale.  Yesterday was spent on my feet as a run course marshall for the age group competitors.  Great to see so many entrants from around the world who'd come to NZ to participate, thousands of them.  By the time I'd got home cold and tired it was all I could do to make a LARGE pot of tea to warm me up.  Next time I'll take a thermos.... and a chair.

Assam CTC Soongachi 
I wouldn't be so rude as to call this tea 'gumboot tea' but it certainly passes muster for a good strong brew.  CTC refers to Cut Torn and Curled which is a processes used to make the small balls of tea rather than small pieces of tea so often found in strong teas.  Soongachi means Golden Tree, the name of the tea garden from whence this tea hails.  I visited there in 2005 and stayed as a guest on the tea garden.  The lady of the house taught me to wrap a sari while the men put on a good display of whiskey drinking.

Nepal Masala Chai Tea
Masala is a generic word for spice so Nepal Masala is a spiced Nepalese tea, something we in NZ would call chai.  This black tea can be brewed as a normal tea and drunk with milk or without, alternatively you can brew as a proper boiled chai which is ideal for this extended cold snap.  Click here for chai recipes

Mango Star Fruit Tea
Lastly for something sweet and fruity thanks to pieces of pineapple and mango amongst other things.  One of our most popular fruit teas with the cafe's we supply, I often find myself nibbling the fruit pieces whilst waiting for the kettle to boil.

 make tea not war.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment